K in Sweden

Thursday, October 1, 2009

K's five stages of creative selection

I am back to considering photos for the upcoming markets and having a very hard time deciding on what is "sellable". I foresee a frantic e-mail to 5 close friends with different eyes and backgrounds (The women around me rock!) and the message, "Lend me your eye before I go totally blind staring at my own crap." in my future I swear, there should be studies on what happens to one when they stare at their own work to long. It is like a bitch fight between creativity and ego - in five predictable stages.

Stage 1: Oh, I like! That is by far the best of this 50 photo set!

Stage 2: But photos 32 and 49 are also quite good.

Stage 3: No, my first instinct is correct!

Stage 4: What am I thinking? That fuzzy bit in that corner brings the whole photo down, the perspective is not 100% and what the hell was wrong with my lighting?

Stage 5: I know Stage 5 is coming but at the moment I am still at Stage 4...and probably on my way back to repeating stages 1-3. Stage 5 will probably be me at the market saying, "Well, thank you very much M'am. I was hoping someone would see the artistic intent behind that particular corner and my subtle use of perspective and light!"

And I am not sure if there is a Stage 6 yet but if there is, I can imagine it hitting right in the middle of a piece of double fudge chocolate cake. A real, "OMG. What if she bought my photo...for the frame!" moment. Followed by a second, larger piece of cake.

Not comparing myself to any of the Greats but...

I wonder, did Michelangelo ever look up and say, "I love that finger right there. No, it is too bendy! But if I change it, the other one will look bad and why did I chose that color while hanging upside down!? Oh well, how long is it really going to be there. Someone will probably paint over it in a few years anyway. Great Vatican, I am awesome! Who wants Espresso!?"

1 Comments:

  • At October 7, 2009 at 8:00 AM , Blogger karen said...

    if you're still in a quandry, bring'em along when we meet. The ex was a pro, so I'm all about eliminating the 1-3 stage repeat thang!
    good post, Chicka!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home